Froboarder (Snow) - Gear Review Blog

Here I tell you about gear I've used - proper first hand reviews, no commercial interests or sponsorships in here. If it's not on this page, that's because I haven't worn, used or ridden it yet.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

2002/3 Yukon 159

Legendary for its base graphics showing an image of Star Wars' Boba Fett, this Ride was alleged to have been pulled off the shelves after Lucas Films sent the snowboard makers a cease and desist letter. Apparently, this has made it a novelty sought after by StarWars fanatics - who I'm sure are all cool people with exciting lives.

History aside, I had the honour of renting one of these boards when I went to St Moritz in March. I found it:

  • Fast and quick from edge to edge despite its wideness
  • Had a very long effective edge. I don't know the specs, but carving up a big slope felt like I was riding a '63
  • A big nose to keep heavier blokes like myself on top of deep powder off-piste
  • Super stiff, which takes a bit of getting used to at first (takes about 20 minutes)
  • The effectiveness of a '59 was impressive. When I went down tree runs at Corvatch, the shorter length was easily to manuoever between tight spots, but it didn't seem to affect the stability when speeding down hill in the open or make me sink into virgin powder off-piste.
I would buy one. In fact, I don't think I can hop onto my 04 custom '62 after experiencing the Yukon. You will soon find me selling my once beloved Custom on ebay.

Notice I said "would" above, but I am very cheap and want to feel like I am getting a real bargain, I also want to know what it is like to ride the '63 before I buy the '59. I also rode a 05/06 Signal '63 on demo the other day and absolutely loved it. I would say the Sig is better than the Yukon at first - but then I rode the former at the Milton Keynes Snowdome - and I have no idea how it would have handled the real life slope conditions I faced with my Yukon rental.

I would encourage big footed, free riders to invest in one if they already have at least lower intermediate level skills (I'm no advanced rider - I am just an intermediate myself). An advanced off-piste freerider would love this board and should always keep one handy.

Unanimously, I would rate this board as a good on the good/bad/ugly scale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home