Froboarder (Snow) - Gear Review Blog

Here I tell you about gear I've used - proper first hand reviews, no commercial interests or sponsorships in here. If it's not on this page, that's because I haven't worn, used or ridden it yet.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Armour: Men's Impact Short (R.E.D. Protection)


This piece of gear has become, for me at least, "essential riding kit". I wouldn't want my backside hitting any slope without it.

The shorts itself are so armoured up with padded and shell plastic inserts that I almost think it's overkill for the big mountain freeriding and groomed piste carving that I tend to do. Jib kids and daredevil mortuary air seekers who need whatever protection they could get, should all waer one of these.

That being said, I just remove all the padding except for the butt (bum) pad with plastic shell in the rear. Removing it is easy because the pads are fit into pockets with velcro openings. That is just right for me since (like many people at all levels) I almost always hit the coccyx bone hard when I fall backwards, this has probably saved me from having to walk around (and sit down!) with a cracked arse bone. In fact, along with my knee and shin guards, its the only protective kit that I wear.

Apparently, once the coccyx is cracked - no casting or any real treatment can aid the process. You simply just don't sit down or walk for weeks and apply ice til it starts to heal.

Can't have that happening.

On the good/bad/ugly scale this rates good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home